ASICS UK is part of a global corporation producing a market leading brand of sports shoes, clothing and accessories. The organisation’s overall mission is to become the number one brand for the sports enthusiast by building on its technological advances and continuing to make the best product. Our work with ASICS UK resulted in us being highly commended at the CIPD People Management awards 2013 for ‘Achieving measurable results’. Following a restructure in 2011, ASICS UK asked us to work with all levels of the business to develop a new vision for the company, create employee engagement and drive a culture change.
The defined aims were:
- Create an umbrella vision for the UK business.
- Generate passion for the business amongst the workforce.
- Develop employees’ thinking skills using the Go M.A.D.® Results Framework.
- Deliver measurable business results.
Workshop groups were established for the Senior Management Team, Sales Team, Head Office Managers and the Head Office Employees.
- The first workshop with the Senior Management Team facilitated the creation of the vision for the UK Business.
- During two day workshop/coaching sessions the Sales Team and Head Office Managers groups identified goals related to the new company vision. Both groups agreed 90-day team and individual challenges which would make a difference to the day-to-day performance of the business. Progress was reviewed after 45 days and the results assessed on completion of the 90-day challenge.
- Head Office staff participated in two, half-day workshops during which they were coached using the Go M.A.D.® Results Framework and toolkit. Delegates individually defined goals linked to achieving the company vision.
Measurable Differences Made
The Project aims were exceeded with differences made that created an additional £4m revenue. Actions taken that contributed to this included:
- Through coaching and applying Results Focused Thinking, participants realised why it is important to take personal responsibility for decisions and learnt how to focus energy on outcomes they can influence. The changes in mind-set were achieved by building understanding of the Go M.A.D.® Results Framework and its applications.
- The company vision statement led to focused employee energy and passion.
- Pride in the brand has been increased by employees wearing company products.
- Morale has improved “Since the team did Go MAD the whole place is in a lighter place”.
- Strategies are in place to encourage employee engagement – role swaps and a mentoring programme.
- A proposal was designed which will change the sales call process to achieve 100% conversion rate from face to face opportunities.
- A training programme has been instigated for effective report interpretation.
- All managers are being trained as accredited coaches.
- 100% growth in sales of apparel products (equates to ROI of 5 times the project cost).
- £50k savings by re-defining sales process and reducing waste.