THINKING > ACTIONS > RESULTS
Go MAD Thinking started to work with Matalan in July 2009. Matalan faced challenges around the development of their Head Office and Retail Store Managersâ€™ engagement and leadership styles.
An employee of Matalan was licensed by Go MAD Thinking to deliver the Solution Focused Thinking Programme (SFTP) so that they could use Go M.A.D.Â® intellectual property to embed practical results focused thinking tools into the company, deliver the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) level 5 award/ certificate to Head Office and provide a three day coaching programme to 225 Store Managers, Deputy Managers, Visual Merchandising and Human Resources personnel.
Areas in which challenges arose:
- Employee engagement
- Development of key people in the business â€“ leadership style and knowledge
- Cross functional growth and movement
- Small teams within the company therefore bringing people off-station was difficult
- 7 one day modules to fit with the ILM level 5 award/certificate. These were designed by both Suzanne Wood, Thinking Engineer at Go MAD Thinking and Karen Poynton, Learning and Development Manager at Matalan.
- Karen was licensed to deliver the Go MAD Solution Focused Thinking System (SFTS), by attending and then leading and delivering a pilot group for a three day coaching program.
- The handing over of the program from the external Go MAD Thinking Engineer to the internal trainer removed long term reliance on external support and ensured that the program was customised to Matalan.
- Under the licensing agreement, Karen trained 225 Matalan store managers in Go MAD coaching and personal effectiveness and 36 head office managers through the ILM level 5 modules.
- Attendance by Retail Store Managers from one Area (seven stores) on the three day Go MAD coaching programme, resulted in a total Return on Investment (ROI) of an average Â£314,000 per store in just 90 days . This was through improved team morale, customer engagement and involving others.
- Head Office staff, following attendance on a three day Go MAD coaching programme produced a ROI of 7.3million from only six individuals.
- Follow up of the 90 day challenges shows theÂ ROI within the manager population currently running at over Â£5 million.
- The Go MAD three day coaching programme is now being rolled out to the deputy store managers and a second employee within the organisation has been licensed to deliver the Go MAD material.
â€˜I think itâ€™s more than met the original objectives, I think itâ€™s exceeded everybodyâ€™s expectations on what was possibleâ€¦weâ€™ve got people working so differently, weâ€™ve seen dramatic changes in people, big transformations. So I think itâ€™s more than delivered.â€™
Julie Blomley, HR Controller, Matalan
â€˜The biggest noticeable difference was the change in behaviours. Having worked with the population before and listening to the feedback, there was a definite difference in what they were saying in terms of how their teams were performing, how their teams were sharing information and collaborating with each other.â€™
Karen Poynton, Learning and Development Manager, Matalan